Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Canadian teen voted top of ‘ugliest girls in grade 12’ list hits back at her online bullies



A CANADIAN high school student has taken a stand against cyber bullies who called her the “ugliest girl in grade 12”.
Lynelle Cantwell, from Newfoundland, found out from a friend in her maths class that her name topped the “ugly list” in a poll on ask.FM, a popular question and answer site.

The poll asked people to vote for the ugliest girl at Holy Trinity High School, where Lynelle attends, and more than 100 people voted anonymously.
Lynelle hit back against the creator of the poll in a Facebook post, which has been shared more than 6,000 times.
“To the person that made the ‘ugliest girls in grade 12 at hth’ ask.FM straw poll. I’m sorry that your life is so miserable that you have to try to bring others down,” she wrote.
“I know that I’m not the prettiest thing to look at. I know I have a double chin and I fit in XL clothes. I know I don’t have the perfect smile or the perfect face. But I’m sorry for you. Not myself.”
She continued: “I’m sorry that you get amusement out of making people feel like sh**. I’m sorry that you’ll never get the chance to know the kind of person I am. I may not look okay on the outside.
“But I’m funny, nice, kind, down to earth, not judgmental, accepting, helpful, and I’m super easy to talk to. Just because we don’t look perfect on the outside does not mean we are ugly. If that’s your idea of ugly then I feel sorry for you. Like seriously? Get a life.”
Lynelle received several messages of support on her Facebook page.
“I’m so proud that you spoke up to let people know how cruel people can be. Don’t let anyone bring your self esteem down, you’re beautiful just like every other girl and we all have flaws,” wrote one woman.
Another said: “Lynelle you’re one of the most amazing sweet kindest person I know. They’re low lives that only care about what’s on the outside, you are absolutely beautiful in my eyes.”
Lynelle told the US Today show the poll “really tore me up inside”, but that she has been overwhelmed by the kind messages she’s received.
“After I saw all of the support I got after I posted that message on Facebook, my confidence was boosted more than before. I don’t even have words for it. I’m trying to show people to combat negativity with positivity and I hope people are getting the message.”
The principal at Holy Trinity High School Andrew Hickey said the poll was “not typical” student behaviour at the school.
“As a school staff we have addressed this matter with the student population and provided information to parents and guardians,” he told the US Today Show.
“District personnel, such as the Senior Education Officer for the school and the Safe and Caring Schools itinerant, are also providing support to our school and have been meeting with students at the school class-by-class and discussing this topic.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

"mungo park" by Coredo Bello