Fire breaks out in Virginia high school classroom, some students hospitalized
At least five students were rushed to the hospital after a fire broke out in a high school chemistry classroom outside Washington, DC, according to officials there.
Students and staff evacuated W.T. Woodson High School in Fairfax, Virginia. Two students were flown to the Burn Unit of MedStar Washington Hospital Center with injuries that were potentially life-threatening. Officials say three other students were taken by ambulance.
Firefighters and hazardous materials team were seen entering the building. Video from the scene showed students pouring out of the school into bleachers, tennis courts and a nearby field.
Emergency officials said a school staff member was also hurt, but was treated at the scene.
The fire was reported around 9:40 a.m. according to Fox 5. School officials said they notified parents.