Couple die in bizarre hotel sex accident before daughter’s wedding
A CANADIAN couple who travelled to Mexico for their daughter’s wedding were found dead after the man suffered a heart attack and squashed his wife when they had sex in a resort spa bath.
Charles Mackenzie, 67, was in a whirlpool spa with his wife, Dorothy, 63, when the tragedy struck, the Canadian Press reported.
The couple travelled from Nova Scotia, Canada, to Playacar Palace hotel, a beachside resort in Playa del Carmen, for their daughter’s wedding, which was planned just days after the couple were found dead.
“I know that they’re more concerned about the remains and cremation and things like that,” said Charles Mckenzie’s brother-in-law, Douglas Hastings. “I don’t really know about the wedding.”
Authorities said the deaths are accidental and likely linked.
The man’s heart attack likely caused the woman to drown, an official from the Mexican state of Quintana Roo told the Canadian Press.
A spokesperson for the resort denied reports that the couple had been electrocuted by the spa bath.
“The room was perfectly fine. All the equipment was working perfectly,” David Rubeo told the Canadian Press. “What the family mentioned was a heart attack.”
Rubeo said the couple’s family was still staying at the hotel.
“We are treating them as our own family,” he said, noting that staff were helping the Canadians deal with local authorities.
“All the group is very calm, in the best way they can be.”